Throughout 1926, many Methodist families joined the congregation at St. Andrew's, leaving behind the "traditional" faith practiced at the Methodist church on Cedar Street. Some Methodists, however, refused to join the United Church and fought to maintain a distinct faith. By 1927, the Cedar Street Church was witnessing a mass exodus to the United Church and soon it became obvious that the non-conformists couldn't keep their congregation going. On April 7, 1927, the final Methodist members joined with St. Andrew's parish.
The Methodists were not the only ones who had dissatisfied members. The Presbyterians also experienced some disagreement with the union and some members decided to create their own congregation. They were joined by like-minded members of the Presbyterian Church in Copper Cliff. By March of 1925, shortly after the unification vote result was announced, the group formed their own church. Soon they were holding their own services and organizing their own Sunday Schools and women's associations. The traditional Presbyterian parishes later became known as the Knox Presbyterian Church.
St. Andrew's became the main church building for United services while the church on Cedar Street was used for Sunday School and midweek organizations. The former Methodist church was renamed Wesley Hall in a final attempt to maintain a small portion of a Methodist identity.
On June 10, 1927, the United Church was finally approved in Sudbury and two days later, the first official United Church service was held.