The first indications of the Presbyterian faith in Sudbury was sometime around 1883 or 1884, when a student missionary from Montreal came to preach to the masses. Church services were held in the District Courthouse between 1884 and 1888 by another student missionary, Samuel Rondeau. The courthouse was chosen because at the time there was no other place available in which to worship. The courthouse jail was not in use during this period, but when police officers began to utilize the jail portion of the courthouse, the congregation sought alternative arrangements in the form of the local schoolhouse.
In 1889, a frame church was built on land secured from the C.P.R. The church ministered to only 10 families.
Three years after leaving Sudbury, in 1891, Reverend Rondeau was asked by the Sudbury congregation to return to the parish as the first permanent minister. He accepted the offer and remained as Sudbury's resident reverend until 1896. During his first year, Reverend Rondeau saw to the construction of a manse.