The Pentecostal faith first appeared in Sudbury in 1937. It was a relatively new faith that had only begun in the early 1900's and being evangelical in nature, was based primarily on conversion of faith and speaking in tongues.
In 1919, the Pentecostal churches throughout Canada joined together to form the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada. The religion had no historical traditions to cling to and consisted of former parishioners from other faiths and converts who previously held no religions affiliations.
The first Pentecostal service in Sudbury was held in the summer of 1937 under a large tent at the corner of Larch and Minto Street (the current site of the Peter Piper Hotel). Services were held at this location throughout the summer, and in the winter they were moved to the Finnish Pentecostal Church near where the Caruso Club now stands.
Services were held by Reverend Arnold O'Brien and his wife Ruth. Reverend O'Brien was invited to Sudbury to start a church and, as his original congregation was in Sault Ste. Marie, he would travel between the Soo and Sudbury on a weekly basis to minister to Sudburians.
The spring of the following year, the congregation rented the vacated YMCA building at 10 Cedar Street to serve as their parish. Reverend O'Brien's father-in-law, Reverend Sidney Gorden, came to Sudbury from the west to take charge of the new church.