Saint-Eugène parish was one of those long awaited parishes. An initial request addressed to the Diocese around1940 by French Canadians in the west end of the city was refused because of the shortage of priests caused by the war. So, the parishioners were asked to wait until the end of the war. In 1945, they renewed their quest but were again asked to wait. Four years later, in May of 1949, upon the insistence of parishioners supported by Father Deguire, the parish was finally established. At the time, it was attended by 400 families.
Material compiled from 75e anniversaire du diocèse du Sault Ste-Marie 1904-1979, and 1914-1978: mes souvenirs.