From 1917 on, the two parishes (Saint-Anne-des-Pins and St. Joseph's) went in similar directions but operated exclusively from one another. St. Joseph's Church was moved from Jubilee Hall to a newly constructed building on Beech Street in 1923. It was later renamed Christ the King Church in the 1930's and served as the founder of many English-based parishes throughout the Sudbury area.
Sainte-Anne's went on to transform the old separate school into an orphanage, known as Orphelinat D'Youville, and establish many French-based parishes throughout the community and outlying regions. One such parish is Saint-Jean-de-Brébeuf. From 1928 to 1930, a large influx of French-Canadian families moved to the flour mill area and were in need of a place to worship. On June 16, 1930, Saint-Jean-de-Brébeuf was built to accommodate their spiritual needs.
Roman Catholicism is the most commonly practiced religion in the Greater Sudbury area with over 99,000* followers. As well, both of the founding parishes are still located on their original sites and continue to minister to parishioners to this day.
Material compiled from The Religious Tradition in Sudbury: 1883-1983.