The first permanent Catholic church (Sainte-Anne-des-Pins) was built in 1889 and the first mass was held there on May 5th by the Reverend Hormidas Caron. Sadly, the church was destroyed by fire five years later on March 23, 1894.
Almost immediately after the destruction of their church, parishioners started to collect funds to rebuild and just two months later, in May of that year, construction began on a new church. The new building was smaller than the previous parish, however, it was made of brick and therefore, much stronger than its predecessor. On November 4, 1894, a church dedication was given by Reverend D.A. O'Connor.