Garson's school system began in 1907 with the creation of the S.S. #1 school on Maley Drive. This effort was undertaken by the Protestants and Roman Catholics who united to bring education to the children of Garson. Back then, schools were not given names as they are today. Instead, they were assigned numbers in order to differentiate one school from the next.
Following the establishment of the first school, S.S. #2 was built on what is now known as Donnelly Drive. Originally, this school was located on the property of farmer Jim O'Neil and was commonly referred to as O'Neil School.
By 1910, the Garson community was in need of a third school, S.S. #3 to serve the needs of the students in the area. This school grew to become the largest and most prominent of the three existing facilities and became known as L.J. Atkinson Public School.
S.S. #5 was established in 1919 and was given the name Arthur Lye Public School in 1958. This school served the Garson community until its closure in 1972 as a result of decreasing enrollment.
The fourth elementary public school to open its doors in Garson was called S.S. #7 or Robert Jack Public School. This four-room school on Margaret Street was opened on October 31, 1954 and was built on donated land from INCO.
By November 19, 1963, the Garson Falconbridge Secondary School was officially opened with a capacity for more than 1,000 students. During its first term, only 555 pupils were enrolled at the school, however, these students came from public and separate schools throughout Garson, Falconbridge, Hanmer, and Capreol. While many students were able to complete their education at this new high school, some were forced to travel to Sudbury or Chelmsford to take subjects that the school couldn't offer at the time.
Garson was also fortunate to establish two separate schools in the community; St. John and St. Augustin. Both of these schools served to provide Catholic children with the basics of education while also ministering to their spiritual growth.
Throughout the decades, many Garson children enjoyed the opportunity of receiving their education in their own town. However, as a result of declining enrollment, many of these former schools were forced to close.
Today, one public school (Northeastern Elementary School), one English separate school (St. John) and one French separate school (École St-Augustin) exist in the community. All high school level students are forced to continue their education at secondary schools throughout Sudbury.