After World War II, citizens around the world experienced an increase in religious interest and church attendance. This was believed to be a method of achieving a sense of normalcy for middle-class citizens after the horrors of war.
From 1951 to 1961, immigration to Canada helped to double Sudbury's population and within a short time, the Protestant Churches were unable to handle the influx of parishioners. This resulted in a period of expansion and renovation for existing churches.
As residential areas grew and developed to the south and to the east (New Sudbury), the churches decided to expand their services to these areas by developing Sunday Schools and building new churches to minister to the people.
The most extensive expansion campaign was undertaken by St. Andrew's United Church. Throughout the mid to late 1950's, a fundraising effort was implemented to raise money for the building of new churches and the expansion of existing churches. St. Peter's (in Lockerby), St. Stephen's (in New Sudbury), and parishes in Naughton and Chelmsford were among those created through this effort.
The Knox Presbyterians also began to expand their church communities into Minnow Lake and New Sudbury with the establishment of Hillside Presbyterian in 1952 and Calvin Presbyterian in 1955. The effort made to maintain the Parkside Presbyterian Church in the Lo-Ellen area (built in the late 1950's) was abandoned by the mid 1970's after the church failed to become self-sustaining after twenty years.
The First Baptist Church did not expand as enthusiastically as other Protestant faiths. They maintained support for the previously erected Calvary Baptist Church and built the Melvin Street Mission in the north end of Sudbury in 1955.
The other Baptist Church (Borean), under the direction of J.R. Boyd, established the Lansing Chapel in New Sudbury and the Lively Baptist Church, among others.
Renovations were also done to the founding churches during this time, with additions being made to some of the buildings.
For many years, the downtown was home to the parent churches of the Protestant faiths but in 1977, the First Baptist Church left the downtown core and moved to Garson.
In 1973, St. Andrew's United Church moved to a new multi-purpose church complex which was constructed as a result of structural instabilities in the old church. The new complex was named St. Andrew's Place and was dedicated on May 27, 1973.