The Knox Presbyterian religion grew rapidly in Sudbury since its creation, however, church finances were limited throughout the Depression, preventing the expansion of church activities.
In 1938, Mrs. Tillie Macdonald, a dedicated Knox Presbyterian, died and willed her home on Victoria Street along with $2,000 cash to the church. The home was rented out to provide supplemental income to the church and the proceeds were used to clear the church's debt. Money was also used in the implementation of various projects.
By 1939, the church was looking to purchase a pipe organ for the parish and a fundraising campaign was initiated. A $3,000 organ was purchased the following year with the money raised.
In 1947, the home on Victoria Street was sold and the money was used to buy a manse on Larch Street. The manse served as a tribute to Mrs. Macdonald as well as the Presbyterians who died during the war.
Throughout the war, the Knox Presbyterians conducted church activities to assist in the war effort. When the war ended, the Sudbury church was called upon to contribute to the post-war effort. The Presbyterian Church in Canada conducted an appeal campaign to expand church constructions and mission work. Sudbury's parish was asked to contribute $3,000 to the cause.
At the same time, the Reverend of Sudbury's parish appealed to the congregations for funds to pay off the church's debt. The parishioners raised the necessary funds and on November 18, 1946, a mortgage burning ceremony was held. The Knox Presbyterian Church in Sudbury was now debt-free.
Throughout the ensuing decades, the Knox Presbyterian faith has continued to remain strong and active in Greater Sudbury and continues to be a vital part of Sudbury's religious community.
Material compiled from The Religious Tradition in Sudbury: 1883-1983.