The Depression and Beyond

The Depression of the 1930's brought Capreol's expansion to a halt.  The Superintendent of the CNR, along with most of his staff, was moved to North Bay and the Capreol payroll was reduced by 50%.  It wasn't until World War II that the Capreol junction regained its importance, transporting soldiers and supplies for the war effort.

After the war, things began to improve for the town.  The railroad was back in operation and people were once again employed and thriving.

Community improvement projects began in the later half of the 1940's with the paving of Young Street and Dennie Street.  By 1949, the community was making plans for the construction of the Capreol Memorial Community Centre and in 1950, the building was officially opened.

Throughout the 1950's and 1960's, Capreol continued to prosper.  St. Mary's Separate School was opened in 1953, Capreol's Memorial Cenotaph was erected in 1957, construction began on C.R. Judd Public School in 1958, and the Capreol Medical Offices were opened in 1959.  The churches were renovated and rededicated and on the whole, Capreol's future looked unstoppable. 

Follow this link to list more items
Site Map