During the 1920's, Dowling Township was in need of an official governing body to oversee the many issues that were arising concerning road conditions, bridges, railway crossings, land claims, and other pressing matters. In 1922, organizational meetings were held in various built-up settlements to try and attract support for the creation of a town council. Because of the size of the township and the pressing issues to be dealt with, this idea was readily accepted and in 1923, the first election was held with Mr. R.J. Simmons being elected as Reeve. One of the first matters dealt with by the new Township Town Council was the repair of the side roads, which fell under the responsibility of the local residents.
In 1928, the first Town Hall was built. The hall was used for Council meetings and also for community events. It was abandoned in 1958 because the building was leaking, it was drafty, and the vermin were destroying the town records. Since funding was not available for a new hall, meetings reverted to being held in private homes until in 1963, a government grant enabled the construction of a new town hall.
When the Depression hit in 1929, the township suffered. Logging consisted of cutting cords of firewood, Errington mine had closed and the Mond Nickel company stayed in operations only until 1931. Money was scarce and even farmers who had provisions to sell could only barter away their goods in exchange for other commodities such as flour and sugar. The pleasant atmosphere that was once enjoyed by the residents of Dowling Township before the 1920's was gone. The logging industry all but disappeared as lumber companies vanished from the landscape and with the land polluted from the sulphur fumes of the mines, a descent crop wouldn't grow.
Some hope was restored in the 1930's when INCO purchased the former site of the Mond Nickel Company mine in Levack. In 1937, the company reopened the mine, providing residents with a chance for employment. Throughout the 1940's, growth in the community became stagnant and the residents continued to provide for themselves as best they could.