The opening of Sudbury's first curling / skating rink in January of 1904 inspired a handful of women to create their own hockey club. Initially, they were without even the barest of hockey equipment and their first puck and hockey sticks were donated by a local supporter named George Gray.
On March 14, 1904, the first female hockey game was played between Sudbury and Copper Cliff, drawing the largest crowd of spectators the new rink had ever seen. The women were not familiar with the rules of the sport and the game was more shinny hockey than conventional hockey. However, the first game was a surprising success and Copper Cliff won with a score of 3-0.
Women's hockey was intermittent at best throughout the winter seasons right up until the First World War, but by the 1920's, it had begun to rapidly gain popularity. Women in other towns throughout the north and the province of Ontario began to form teams and play against each other. In the north, Sudbury's ladies would play against Blind River, Thessalon, Capreol, and Chapleau. At the height of women's hockey, these matches led to a provincial final against the southern Ontario champions.