Mine officials of the Canadian Copper Company viewed participation in sports as a healthy diversion when not at work. In 1906, the first baseball field was opened in Creighton Mine. The Company would sponsor teams in the community and it was instrumental in setting up the Nickel Belt Baseball League in 1913. The Company also sponsored the Ambrose Monell Cup, which was first awarded in 1914, and a marching band in 1918. The rules of the league required that players had to be residents of the communities that the team originated in, however, this rule was generally ignored. The Nickel Belt Baseball League existed until 1959, after which the league folded and the Monell Cup disappeared. In 1989, on the eve of the Creighton Mine Reunion, the cup resurfaced and is now on permanent display at the Anderson Farm Museum.
The Canadian Copper Company also encouraged the development of the Creighton Mine Athletic Association. The association was operated by volunteers from the community and supported by the Company through the hiring of coaches and athletic instructors. Records of the Creighton Mine Athletic Association show baseball players hired by the Company being offered "soft" jobs on the surface and being allowed time off for practice.
In 1943, the Company developed an employees club where workers could box, bowl, play tennis or badminton, and train for various sports. Over the years, the Creighton Mine Athletic Association produced professional baseball players, internationally ranked boxers, national hockey players, and provincial, national, and international badminton champions. The players and coaches became community heroes with a strong reputation and standing in the community.