Thomas Edison was responsible for the first mining effort in the Falconbridge area. Though a resident of New Jersey, Edison visited the Sudbury area when, at an industrial exhibition, he came up with the idea of using nickel and cobalt in his electrical equipment. Along with his wife and brother-in-law, Edison arrived in the Sudbury area in 1901 and began prospecting for minerals. Using an electrical dip needle, he discovered a rich ore body in the eastern Falconbridge area (near where Centennial Park now stands).
Throughout 1902 and 1903, Thomas Edison attempted to sink a shaft at his claim numerous times but each time, he encountered a layer of quicksand which halted his attempts. Unable to bypass the quicksand and unwilling to lose any more money in the endeavour, Edison shut down his operations and returned to New Jersey.
Thomas Edison is remembered in the Falconbridge community for his part in the establishment of mining operations in the area. Edison Street is named in his honour.
To learn more about Thomas Edison, click here.
To read more about Thomas Edison's visit to Sudbury, consult the attached documents.
Material compiled from Nickel Centre Yesterdays.