Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1953. In such a short period of time, the small mining operation had grown to become one of the leading producers of nickel in the world. Through the company's successes, the community of Falconbridge also benefitted.
In October of 1957, the Ontario Mining Board determined that the Township of Falconbridge would be incorporated. This meant that Falconbridge was no longer just a company town, but was an independent settlement. The first election took place in December of that year and on January 1, 1958, the Town of Falconbridge appointed Mr. John Franklin as the town Reeve.
Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited experienced a great boost in the industry when in 1961, it purchased its own parent company, Ventures. This purchase was orchestrated by Falconbridge company president, H.J. Fraser, who subsequently established the Falconbridge Group. With this acquisition, Falconbridge now had controlling interest in various other mineral explorations including gold, oil, and magnesium. As well, the company now owned numerous mining operations throughout Canada and the world.
Today, Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited continues to be a world leader in the mining industry, employing people from within the Town of Falconbridge and throughout the Greater Sudbury area.
The Town of Falconbridge itself continues to be a cherished community to all of its residents as people enjoy the close kinship shared with the founding company.
Material compiled from Nickel Centre Yesterdays.