With the advent of the Second World War, hockey took a back seat as once again, players signed up for duty to defend their country. The senior Wolves hockey team disbanded, leaving Max Silverman and his juniors as the only hockey club in Sudbury for many years.
In the early 1950's, two new senior hockey teams were formed, helping to rekindle public interest in hockey. Also around this time, the Sudbury Arena (with the first artificial ice surface in Sudbury) was being built and the Sudbury Wolves senior hockey team was being reborn.
When the Sudbury Arena was completed, the decision fell to the civic arena commission to determine which of the three senior hockey teams would be able to call the facility "home". A poll was held by the Sudbury Star newspaper to let readers have their say. The polls showed that the Sudbury Carusos were the heavy favourite, followed by the Sudbury Miners, and the Sudbury Wolves at a distant third.
However, the civic arena commission had to look at more than just popularity as the determining factor. The chosen team had to have affiliations with a professional hockey club to provide the Sudbury players with the opportunity to progress to bigger and better things. Only the Sudbury Wolves club had such ties (with the Montreal Canadians), and so the new arena was made home to the Sudbury Wolves.