The Village of Creighton Mine was a community planned and developed by the Canadian Copper Company, the forerunner of INCO. Located some twenty kilometers west of Sudbury, the community existed from 1900 until 1987.

Creighton Log Cabin.  Photo courtesy of the Greater Sudbury Historical Database.Creighton Mine was different than hundreds of other Northern Ontario single industry mining towns that no longer exist in that it has been kept alive in the memories of the former residents. Other communities in the Sudbury area with similar origins (Cinnottiville, Mond, Victoria, O'Donnell, and Northstar) have faded into obscurity.

The first residents of Creighton Mine were the employees of the Canadian Copper Company. The mine was the primary pillar of life in the community, for without the mine there would be no need for the village. Development of the mine (originally an open pit) began in 1900, almost 13 years after the Company acquired the property. Living conditions for the miners were difficult and challenging.

By the end of 1900, a series of log cabins had been constructed along what became George Street. These included the Mine superintendent's home and a building which became the first school.


Follow this link to list more items
Site Map