Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison was responsible for the first mining effort in the Falconbridge area.  Though a resident of New Jersey, Edison visited the Sudbury area when, at an industrial exhibition, he came up with the idea of using nickel and cobalt in his electrical equipment.  Along with his wife and brother-in-law, Edison arrived in the Sudbury area in 1901 and began prospecting for minerals.  Using an electrical dip needle, he discovered a rich ore body in the eastern Falconbridge area (near where Centennial Park now stands). 

Throughout 1902 and 1903, Thomas Edison attempted to sink a shaft at his claim numerous times but each time, he encountered a layer of quicksand which halted his attempts.  Unable to bypass the quicksand and unwilling to lose any more money in the endeavour, Edison shut down his operations and returned to New Jersey.

Thomas Edison is remembered in the Falconbridge community for his part in the establishment of mining operations in the area.  Edison Street is named in his honour.

To learn more about Thomas Edison, click here.

To read more about Thomas Edison's visit to Sudbury, consult the attached documents. 


Material compiled from Nickel Centre Yesterdays.

Adobe Acrobat Reader(.pdf) Letter to Mrs. Edison
A summary of a letter written to Mrs. Edison by her brother John Miller detailing the exploration effort by Thomas Edison. (Size: 26 kb)

Adobe Acrobat Reader(.pdf) Ryan Address
Address made to Thomas Edison by Sudbury's Mayor in 1901 welcoming Edison to the community. (Size: 23 kb)

Adobe Acrobat Reader(.pdf) A Distinguished Visitor
Article taken from the Sudbury Journal dated August 15, 1901 discussing Edison's visit to Sudbury. (Size: 23 kb)

Follow this link to list more items

Site Map