Trinity United Church

The first Protestant service was held in August of 1916 when CNR Superintendent, W.R. Kelly, permitted the linking of a coach to his private spur for church services each Sunday.  In the early days, there were not enough parishioners to pay for a full-time minister so arrangements were made that enabled Capreol residents to receive church services every other Sunday evening from Reverend Woods, a "Shantyman's missionary".

Over time, Capreol was fortunate to enlist the services of another ex-minister in the form of Mr. Bell, a traveling bible salesman.  He agreed to hold mass for the Capreol congregation whenever he was in town, which happened to be on the alternate weeks that Reverend Woods was available.  As a result, the parishioners were able to receive Sunday evening services each week from two different preachers.

This arrangement continued until Capreol was joined with the missions in Sellwood and Milnet.  A student minister, Mr. John Smith, resided in Sellwood and would conduct regular church services in Sellwood in the morning, in Milnet in the afternoon, and in Capreol in the evening.

In those days, the CNR constructed a building to house supplies for the construction of employee housing.  This building was altered in 1917 to become a public utility building and was used for masses as well as other community purposes.  During the week, the building was often used by other Protestant denominations, including the Baptist Mission.

The public utility building was shared by the community for school and church until October 1920, when the School Board opened a Public School.  From that point, the building was used exclusively for church services.

Originally, the CNR building was located on Bloor Street, facing south.  When the CNR arranged to build the YMCA on that site, the building was moved across the street.  Even while the building was being moved and was sitting on rollers in the middle of the street, mass was still being held in the structure.  In the end, the building was moved to the corner of Bloor Street and Queen Street.


Follow this link to list more items
Site Map