With the demand for nickel at an all-time high during the First World War, Levack was becoming a "hot spot" for mining. As such, mining operations increased and the need for housing for the workers became an issue. To overcome the lack of accommodations, additional bunkhouses were built for the use of the single men and those men whose families had not joined them.
In 1916, the Longyear Diamond Drilling Company discovered a large body of ore at Levack Mine. The knowledge that Levack had enough minerals to keep the mine going for numerous years was enough to encourage a sense of permanency for the town.
By 1918, a school, churches, and stores had all been established and the town was beginning to feel like home. School was originally held in a small, square house and it wasn't until many years later that an actual school building was constructed.
As the Town of Levack grew, the Mond Nickel Company leased the land between the mine and the town to some of their workers. This was contrary to what the townspeople in Levack had experienced where the Mond Nickel Company built the homes and rented them to the workers.
The land leased to the workers had been cleared by Mr. Quin and with the construction of new homes, it soon became known as the settlement of Warsaw. Warsaw was soon known as the bootleg section of Levack. People would cut through the bush along the winding footpaths to reach the "party town" and the Levack police chief would make frequent trips to the community to search for illegal liquor.
In 1917, the Levack Railway Station was built. In 1921, a second general store was opened by Bill Hughes and an outdoor rink was constructed. By this time, almost 300 people were residing in Levack.
The Finnish Hall was built in 1925 and was utilized extensively by the people of Levack for weddings and reunions, as well as other social and even political events.