The general store in Falconbridge began with the establishment of the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited company. It was originally operated by Doug Davis and was located in one of the first bunkhouses built in the community. In 1933, the store was taken over by Mr. A. Earle Hodge who purchased the business when Mr. Davis drowned in an accident on Lake Ramsey. By the following year, Mr. Hodge had moved the store to a new building and had expanded his operations to include a warehouse and a garage. These businesses thrived until 1968 when a devastating fire destroyed his enterprises.
Not wanting to lose his customers, Mr. Hodge established his general store in the former Community Hall where it remained until the new general store was completed a year later. The general store continued to serve the residents of Falconbridge until the 1960's.
Material compiled from Nickel Centre Yesterdays.