The first women's softball team in Garson was formed on June 10, 1943, however, there is no record of what league they belonged to or which teams they competed against.
Throughout the late 1940's and early 1950's, some Garson women joined teams within the Sudbury and District Women's Softball League in order to partake in this exciting new venture. By 1953, the Garson Combines Girls' Softball team was formed. The team competed as part of the McKim Township Softball League (which included clubs from New Sudbury, Minnow Lake, Neelon, Lockerby, and Skead Road).
Over the next two years, the Combines would hold fundraising events to help secure financial support for the team and purchase much-needed equipment. In 1955, the team was a force to be reckoned with as they played their entire season without losing a single game. They advanced to the all-Ontario Championships but were unable to secure a victory over the Goderich Dodgers.
Interest in women's softball began to decline around the late 1950's and early 1960's, although it never completely disappeared.
Today, the women of Garson continue to play baseball whether for fun or as part of the Nickel Centre Ladies' Slo-Pitch League.
Material compiled from Voices from the Past: Garson Remembers.