In 1951, Father Humphrey, the parish's priest, invited the Basilian Fathers of St. Michael's College in Toronto to Sudbury. They purchased the former Children's Aid Home on Pine Street and proceeded to establish St. Charles College; a new Catholic high school for boys.
By 1956, preparations were under way for the development of a Catholic high school for girls and on November 5, 1956, the groundbreaking ceremony was held for Marymount College. All of the Catholic parishes in Sudbury contributed financially to the building of this new private school, which opened on September 22, 1958.
Parishioners of Christ the King were heart-broken on August 24, 1963 when they received word that Monsignor Crowley had passed away. Monsignor Crowley was the founder of Christ the King Church and the first priest to serve the parish.
On January 31, 1970, the church underwent renovations to upgrade the building. These renovations took three months to complete and on April 24, 1970, the newly renovated church was blessed by Bishop Carter.
By 1977, ten thousand children and adults had been baptized in the church. As well, 3,500 couples were married, nearly 5,000 teens had received the Sacrament of Confirmation, 1,800 funerals were held, and several young parishioners from Christ the King Church were called to the priesthood.
Christ the King has gone on to inspire the development of additional parishes in the community, including St. Clement (1936), Holy Trinity (1937), All Saints' in Minnow Lake (1938), St. Anthony's (1953), St. Patrick's (1953), and St. Andrew the Apostle (1955).