Soon after the celebrations ended, St. Alban's realized that there was a problem with the funding for Gillmor Hall. The parish was not aware that it was legally ineligible to sign a mortgage agreement on its own behalf. The Algoma Diocese was the legal governing body and their Executive Committee refused to sign the agreement as they did not agree with the terms.
The Brockville Trust Company insisted that St. Alban's find members of its community to sign a collateral agreement whereby the guarantors would be responsible for repaying the loan. Twenty people agreed to take on the responsibility for the parish hall and signed the agreement. These individuals soon realized that they would be personally liable for fulfilling the mortgage, the interest, the taxes, and the insurance costs should the church be unable to repay the mortgage.
To protect their interests, some of the Guarantors took over the operation of the hall and took care of paying the taxes and the bills. This situation strained relations between the Guarantors and the other members of the parish who were not legally liable for the building.
Many difficulties arose throughout the 1930's and 1940's as the Depression hit and obvious prejudices existed against the Anglican parish on the part of the Town Council.
By 1950, the Town Council had begun to treat the Anglicans the same as any of the other religious denominations and tensions were easing.
Gillmor Hall hosted many social activities for the Anglican community and was often rented out to other groups in need of a hall. Parties and wedding receptions were common at the hall as were many social activities including dances, with music provided by local bands.
The hall was equipped with a stage, enabling the Sunday School class, the Girl Guides, and the Women's Auxiliary to perform stage productions. In December of 1937, a nativity play was held with great success.