In 1964, Canada was getting ready to celebrate its 100th birthday and as part of the festivities, municipalities were asked to submit project ideas that would commemorate this event. The projects were funded by all three levels of government, with the majority of funding coming from the senior level.
On September 14, 1964, Capreol's Town Council held a special meeting at the Capreol Community Centre where residents and organizations could submit ideas for the centennial project.
Among the ideas presented, a submission was made by Norman Fawcett on behalf of the town's Recreation Committee. It was proposed that ten acres of land be transformed into a recreational area that would contain baseball diamonds, a football field, tennis courts, a playground, and a quarter-mile track. The land recommended for this purpose was located parallel to the Community Arena, the High School, and St. Mary's Separate School.
The submission was approved at the October council meeting and work began on the project immediately. The entire community pitched in to make the recreational project a success.
The CNR, along with Lowphos Ore Company, were instrumental in helping the community clear the land and level it in record time. The Royal Canadian Legion took on the responsibility of creating the track, while numerous volunteers helped to create the baseball diamonds. Funds received from Charles O'Leary's estate were used in the construction of a tennis court.
On July 7, 1967, the Centennial Athletic Field was officially opened. At the time, it was one of the best athletic facilities in the entire Sudbury District.
Today, Capreol residents and sports teams alike still use the Centennial Athletic Field for competitive games and for social enjoyments.
Material compiled from Capreol: The First 75 Years, 1918-1993.