Prior to 1957, St. Alban's did not have a church basement. In that year, it was decided that a basement should be installed. The church floor was supported by metal pillars while the basement was being dug underneath. When completed, the basement provided much needed room for the choir and Sunday School services, although initially there was no doorway to the basement on the east side of the building. This caused parents to worry about their children's safety should a fire break out while they were attending Sunday School.
An additional doorway was not constructed until 1967 when, after the sale of Gillmor Hall, the parish began construction on a new hall directly beside the church.